20 December, 2021

Dallas in July

I go to Dallas for my medical care - that's where I had my shoulder evaluated.  I started going there in 2016 for cataract surgery and was very pleased with the care I received, so decided to get all my healthcare there.  I always stay at a hotel that is near Love Field, where SW Airlines flies, and not too far from DFW.  The hotel is  adjacent to Bachman Lake City Park, which gives me a nice place to walk and run.

Sunrise behind Bachman Lake.  Love Field Airport is along the far shore on the right.  Hotel is waaaay back around a bend on the lake at the left.  Took this shot from atop the dam at the west end of the lake.

My friend Vivian came to stay with me for this trip since I had to have eye surgery (removal of an epiretinal membrane that was distorting the vision in my right eye).  The surgery was easy and I only had to rest for a day.  Vivian and I decided to go to some museums and escape the heat.  Dallas has some lovely museums.  The photos below are from the Dallas Museum of Art.  I guess I was still a little wonky from the surgery, plus I had a patch over one eye, so I didn't get details from the exhibits.

Huge stone with cores cut out of it.  Boring, not boring.

Neon house.  Such a cool vibe.

Woman hanging clothes on the line on a windy day.  I like the shadow.

My favorite was an installation of Dale Chihuly's Hart Window glass sculpture.

HUGE installation, For scale, those are double doors at the bottom, center.
This was installed in 1995 and at the time these were the largest pieces of glass ever blown.  Even with just 1 eye, I couldn't miss them!

8 comments:

  1. I can't imagine living in one country and having to leave to get medical attention in another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a big deal until covid was a factor. We can get many things right here, but I chose to have cataract surgery in the US because I wanted special multifocal lenses.

      Delete
  2. I’ve only been to Dallas on business. Didn’t see much more than the conference hotel and a steakhouse. I would have enjoyed the museum (more than the conference).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been pleasantly surprised with what a nice city Dallas is. We initially chose it as the location for our mail drop because there is a direct flight to Belize from Dallas. Now that I am more familiar with the city I look forward to my stays there.

      Delete
  3. The glass sculptures remind me of jelly fish. Vey colorful ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that, Sheila! I had a very fun dream the other night of huge colorful jelly pulsing across the sky. Maybe thinking about this exhibit prompted that dream.

      Delete
  4. The sunrise behind the lake is stunning!
    Interesting museum exhibits! I particularly like the woman hanging clothes on the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta. You could feel that poor woman's struggle to keep her clothes and herself from blowing away!

      Delete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.