01 January, 2022

From the Garden

 I posted about our bilimbi tree a few weeks ago, with photos of the little flowers (here).  They are bearing fruit nicely and I harvested a small handful today. 

Flowers and fruits.

These seem pretty small to me.

Smaller than my thumb.
The cross section reveals the little star similar to star fruit.
Five-pointed star, like star fruit.
The tiny harvest didn't amount to much, but I sliced them and put them in a mix of diluted apple cider vinegar with sugar and anise seeds.  I made the slices thin enough so we can have them as little side with dinner tonight.
They will be tart and tangy - a good contrast to Punjabi Eggplant.



8 comments:

  1. These are new to me. I must learn something about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super tart because they contain loads of oxalic acid. If you are prone to kidney stones, these would be a big no-no. I'm going to put these in the next fish stew I make.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great series of photos! Delicous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mitchell. These were still too tart to eat last night, so I added a little more sugar to the mix. They should keep well in the fridge until I get around to making fish stew to add them to.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I bet they would grow well in your garden.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to be able to grow and harvest your own tropical fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives me a thrill to be able to walk outside and collect something for the table.

      Delete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.