05 March, 2022

The Coral Tree Cafe

The coral tree (Erythrina fusca) is in full bloom right now, and it is a busy place!  All the birds, from the small hummingbirds to the large Montezuma oropendolas seem to love it.  Even the insectivorous woodpeckers are drawn to it to feast on the flies, bees, and wasps that adore the flowers.  Here is the view of it from our back veranda.

This particular tree has orange flowers.
About 5 years ago, when the tree was only about 15 feet tall, and surrounded by taller, weedier trees, one of our workers pointed it out to me.  I had no idea it was there because it had never bloomed.  
It has a full canopy with lots of room to grow even more.  That's it behind the small banana plants.  You can see the tomatoes in our raised beds, plus some coconut palms.
So we cleared its competitors away to give it some space.  Two years later, it had a few blossoms, the next year it had more, and now, well - just look at it!  
Multi-trunked tree.
Fortunately, it can tolerate a high water table of brackish water, which is what we have here - most of our vegetables are in raised beds to keep their roots  happier.
A few spent blossoms on the ground.
I don't have a good photo of the inflorescence on the tree - they are way too high - but I do have a close-up of a single fallen blossom.
A very complex structure.  I think some insects get trapped in it.  
Hummingbirds swarm the tree in the early morning hours and then later on other birds come.  No photos of the woodpeckers or brown jays, but I did get some shots of Montezuma Oropendolas.
That's a Montezuma Oropendola in the center of the image with the blue patch on its face.

And here it is showing off its yellow tail.
Larger than an American crow, smaller than a raven, these oropendolas are the largest member of the New World Blackbird family.

For a few more weeks yet, the birds will feast at the Coral Tree Cafe.

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Everything from the Coral tree to the Oropendola (I love that word!) to your tomatoes are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch closely each year for blossoms on that tree and then finally, there they are! I saw a brown jay earlier today grab off a big beak-full of blossoms and fly away with them! Fingers crossed for this year's tomato crop. Last year they were destroyed by a trifecta of virus, nematodes, and crabs just as they were about to reach their peak of production. Dennis was heartbroken.

      Delete
  2. So much to learn here. You've really developed great knowledge about your surroundings. I love the unfamiliar birds and trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is right here in our faces every day! There are so many good apps for identifying flora and fauna if you can get a picture on your phone. Recently I discovered the Bird Sounds app of Merlin (out of Cornell University Lab of Ornithology) that can ID in real time some birds as you record them! That has been so much fun.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the trees especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that tree a beauty? I planted another coral tree that is an offshoot of a neighbor's tree that has deep red flowers. Hoping to see blossoms on it next year.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It never fail that if I take the time to look any day that I will will see something breathtaking. It is paradise to me.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful tree, and a beautiful bird! Loved the video. That really brings it all to life for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! I will try to get a good video of the oropendola making its display and call - so cool and unique.

      Delete
  6. Beauty, Nature and entertainment all in one tree in your 'back yard'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is almost always at least one tree in the yard that is attracting some kind of wildlife. Never a dull season here. I wish I had your skill and patience with wildlife cameras.

      Delete
  7. That fallen blossom calls to mind some sort of sea creature. What fun to have all that bird activity right on your property. Out of curiosity I checked out the weather in Rochester today...cloudy with a high of 34F. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - they do look like a cuttlefish or squid or something of similar ilk! Although summers in Rochester were delightful, I will take Belize weather anytime.

      Delete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.