15 September, 2015

Morning After The Storm

We had such a storm night before last!   Howling wind, crashing waves, torrents of rain, booming thunder, strobes of lightning.  It seemed our little cabana was rocking-n-rolling all night long while we were trying to sleep. Click here to hear the music.

Loud noises that sounded suspiciously like furniture being dragged across the back veranda outside our bedroom windows really got our attention - we don't have furniture on the back veranda.  And the sound of the rain coming off the roof intensified. What the heck was going on?  All we could do was close the windows so the rain didn't blow in and try to get back to sleep.

After very fitful sleep, we were awakened by silence.  And deep red skies.  Here is what we saw:
The most magnificent dawn ever.  And a calm sea.  What a relief from the night's cacophony!
It was still too dark to see clearly, but there was on shape on the ground in front of the cabana.  As the sun rose, the daylight revealed a shade panel from the pergola on the back veranda on the sand in front of the cabana.  The wind had blown it up and over the roof to land, undamaged, on the sand below.
Shade panel from the pergola, covered with Coolaroo(TM) fabric, survived intact its airborne journey up and over the roof.  Another panel, also intact, was on the roof.  No rips or tears in the fabric - amazing.  All we had to do was shake the sand off and screw it back down on the pergola.  We used additional screws this time.
A total of 3.6 inches of rain fell during the storm, which is great.  So far the rainy season has not been rainy enough, especially for those of us who rely solely on rain for all of our water.  And also for the many farmers throughout Belize who are suffering through crop failure due to the unseasonably dry conditions; another effect of the El Nino.

The sea was calm and perfect for working on the breakwater.
The crew preparing to set more bags for the breakwater.  The far end of the breakwater is just below the surface of the water behind the boat.  I took the shot from the dock.
 They made great progress, getting 5 loads of bags set.
You can just make out the white bags of the breakwater just below the surface of the water on the far side of the boat extending all the way to the dock.
 A great day for this work.
One of five turtle gaps is visible here.
It was a lovely calm day and we made a lot of progress on Stage One of the breakwater.  The calm was short-lived, however - the wind picked up around 5:00pm and is still blowing hard as I write this 15 hours later.  The wind-fueled waves did bring in more sand to the area protected by the breakwater.  The section to the north where we haven't built the breakwater yet is not faring as well.  So we will push to get Stage One finished as quickly as possible.


  1. Wow! I love a good, dramatic storm (that leaves no damage or injury behind). Glad you and your house made it through.

    1. You missed a good one, Mitchell. I adore dramatic storms, too - when I am not trying to sleep! We had some doozies when we lived in the upper midwest, but somehow these are little more exciting, perched as we are on the edge of the sea.

  2. This kind of weather is just totally foreign to us here in the Yorkshire Dales, and sounds quite scary.

    1. It was actually mostly exciting, but would be quite scary if you aren't used to them, Weaver. I grew up in an area with lots of storms (Georgia) and then Dennis and I moved to Minnesota, which also has frequent summer thunderstorms.

  3. I was surprised that your beach repairs came out of it pretty well. Is this a normal turbulent time of year now for your area.

    1. We still have a long way to go to get our beach back to its former state. But today is another one of the those wonderful flat-sea days, so the breakwater will progress nicely. Stage One is almost 3/4ths complete.

  4. The 'Dawn' shot is really beautiful Wilma.


Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.