The increasing frequency of rain squalls are a sure sign that the rainy season is gearing up. Our goal was to have our addition dried in before the rainy season, but we didn't quite make it. The top photo below was taken Sept 25th. No roof, no windows, and 4.3 inches of rain in our rain gauge in the previous week. It seems the rainy season was not aware of our timeline. The bottom photo was taken today, 23 days and 20 inches of rain later than the top photo. Now only 1 more door and 1 more window to install and then we will be totally dried in. Yea!
Another view of the sea.
Here is what happened in those 23 days:
From the inside you can see the roofing trusses and upper level walls.
|The large Santa Maria wood roofing trusses are bolted together with iron plates. These babies ain't goin' nowhere.
|We love these blue sky days.
|Given the irregular shape of the roof, we actually had to start the courses of 10x4ft zinc sheets at the top of the ridge line and work down instead of starting at the bottom and working up. The next course had to be slipped under the first course.
|Another view of the roof from below.
|This is with all the roof, including the ridge cap, up and most of the doors and windows.
|Before the zinc and windows. You can see how the gable end eaves extend out.
|After the zinc, windows, and 3 of 4 doors.
|The crew working on the south facing roof. This is the side on which the solar panels will be mounted.
|The sheets of metal roofing are all installed. Next, we will come back and finish off the gable ends with sheet metal covers and then install the soffit. That will keep it weather tight.
The collage below shows the southwest corner and the south facing roof during the construction. Either 18 or 20 solar panels will be mounted on the roof. A small shed room will be added to the windowless wall to house the inverter and the batteries will run under the windows along the wall on the right. The space the batteries will be in is on a breezeway that will be covered by a shed roof that links the old cabana with the new addition. The breezeway will be screened in.Once the roof was up, we took the tarps off the Santa Maria wooden beam. You can see the beam and some of the posts in the collage below. I had thought that putting the roof on would make the space seem smaller, but it doesn't. The space is nice and open with plenty of light coming in through the windows. I'm sure that will change a bit when we put the loft in, but with 10 foot ceilings under the loft, it should still feel open and airy.
There is still an amazing and daunting amount of work yet to be done. Getting the solar panels, inverter, and batteries up and running is our priority now. The panels are being shipped, the batteries and inverter have been sourced and will be ordered next month. Things are happening!
|Looking more like a house every day.