21 April, 2024

Up to The Nest

Since buying the property at Sleeping Giant with the plan to build a house and move there, I spent some more time there to view the property during various times of the day and year.  I want to make sure I have a good feel for the space while planning the orientation of the house, windows, approach, etc with regard to sun, wind flow, rain runoff, potential flooding etc.  Great excuse to go spend a night now and then at this  lovely place.  Each time I go I expect for the other shoe to drop and to find something that is "off" or perhaps "awful", but instead each time I fall in love with it a little more.  As much as I love our current seaside living, I think I will find my place of serenity nestled against the mountains.

The lot is situated at the end of a cul de sac and will have only 2 visible neighbors since the land behind the lot is part of the protected National Pine Ridge Forest Reserve.  The reserve covers more than 1000 squares miles.

The house will built just on the other side of the white concrete pillar at the end of the cul de sac.
The lot is sloped downward toward the mountain, so the plans call for the house to be cantilevered above the slope.  The living level will be about 2 feet above street level and hardscaped to eliminate the need for steps or stairs to enter the one-level house.
Vista from what will be the approximate main level of the house.
A stay at Sleeping Giant back in October found me on a pre-dawn walk, listening to birdsong and watching the mist rise up along the Sibun River Valley - pure magic. Right along the river bank is an amazing treehouse called "The Nest" that leans out over the river.  Let's climb it!  

A spiral staircase wraps around the tree trunk for a couple turns and ends on a viewing platform.  From the viewing platform, a dizzying ladder ascends the tree trunk with another tiny platform at the top of the ladder.  And then!  Then there is a taut net platform that hangs out over the river.  Breathtaking.  Scary!
What a whimsical structure!  But extremely well-engineered. 
Up we go . . . .

Beautiful river valley at dawn.
Safety cage around the steep ladder.  Very comforting.

Scary net platform.  I couldn't do it.  But look at that view!
I couldn't make my foot step out onto the net.  In defense of my scaredy-cat-ness, let me just say I was clutching my phone in one hand and binoculars in the other.  I think I did well to get this far!  But next time, folks, next time I will venture out onto the net and get some panoramic shots to prove it!



10 comments:

  1. What a lot of adventures! You're really moving along. If not on a net. I can't blame you for not netting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM going to try again to net. It will be a while before I can spend any time there, though. So much going on!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, Wilma! What a terrific spot to build and live! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I knew you would understand the feeling of needing to be in a particular place.

      Delete
  3. What a fun day of adventuring! Net or no net. Very cool stuff. I bet your house will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning on lots of outdoor spaces for the new house, some screened - vertical nets, so to speak!

      Delete
  4. Gone are the days when I could climb--lucky you with that view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Dennis wouldn't be able to even reach the tree, much less make the climb. One of the great things about Sleeping Giant as a resort is that some key (not all) trails and lookouts are accessible by car or golf cart, which makes it feasible for many folks with mobility issues to enjoy getting out and about.

      Delete
  5. Love the treehouse! But with my onset of acrophobia, I’d have to admire it from the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.