23 March, 2024

More than a year ago

Steve (of Shadows and Light fame) has motivated me to get off the "inactive blog" list and start writing posts again, so you can blame him!  But all the blame is with me for not having posted anything in well over a year!  How did that happen?  Well, it started like this . . .

In February of 2023, my lovely niece Becki came to visit us.  This was her second trip to Belize and, I am hopeful, the second in a long string of trips in the future.  This time, like the first time, she came to join me at a yoga retreat.  The first retreat, which was fabulous, was at Ray Caye and you can read about it here and here and here. In 2023, the retreat was at Sleeping Giant Rainforest Resort in Maya Mountains of Belize, also fabulous. 

But first!  Big change - cut off my long hair which had grown so much during covid! 

16 inches of braided, grey hair sent off to Locks of Love.

I was so relieved to have short hair again!  I felt pounds lighter.

My friend Melanie, who joined us on the yoga retreat, and I drove up to the Philip Goldston International Airport in Ladyville, Belize to pick up Becki.  Good tidings were foretold by the rainbow over the airport while we waited for Becki to clear customs and immigration.
Double rainbow for double goodness.

Rainbow in rearview, the three of drove to the stunning Sleeping Giant Rainforest Resort for the yoga retreat.  The grounds were so lush.
Resort grounds with path to the swimming pool.

The pool.
We were in a creekside suite which looked out across the Sibun River Valley.  In front of our suite was a koi pond fed by gurgling creek.  We were surrounded by beauty you could see, smell, and hear.
View from the private veranda of our room.

Koi pond in the rain
Also beauty you could taste - the food was as lovely as my companions!
Becki and Melanie at dinner.

Our yoga sessions were at various locations in the expansive resort.
Sunrise yoga at the riverside pavilion.

We also had sessions adjacent to a creek way back in the jungle and another on a deck overlooking the valley.  Everywhere the walking paths were lined with amazing plants that hosted multitudes of birds and other wildlife.  The paved paths between the resort buildings wound through beautifully tended, yet natural looking, gardens.
Ginger flowers.

Orchid.

The reddest hibiscus I have ever seen!

Rougher trails criss-crossed creeks over hammock bridges and climbed up mountains, sometimes with steps and other times with only rope handholds with which to pull yourself up the cliff sides.
Selaginella.

Limestone cliff behind those trees.

Catching my breath as I look down the steps I just climbed.


Flowers and ferns on the cliff face.

Becki, puling herself up the mountainside.

And contemplating how much further there is to go . . . .

View of the Sibun River Valley from the mountaintop gazebo.

Panoramic View.  All of the forested area is part of a national forest reserve.

After the hike

That was 13 months ago and so much has happened since then.  More to come.



17 comments:

  1. So glad you're back! If I'd known a mention would do it, I'd have mentioned you ages ago. Lovely post with tropical scenes and flowers. I'm very happy you donated your hair to locks of love, great org.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed a jolt of some sort to get me going again! Thanks for commenting. I always read your blog - a highlight every day!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to blogging!
    Gorgeous braid of hair! Great photos of the landscapes in the yoga resort area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duta - I'm glad to be back! The hair braid looks much better off my head than on it!

      Delete
  3. Wilma! I'm so glad you're back! And THESE are exactly the kinds of images I've been missing here in chilly, rainy, dark England. Those ginger flowers are especially nice, and that panorama shot is amazing -- I had to make it as big as possible for full effect. Now I feel like I've been on a mini-vacation. I'm glad to see that you're doing well and I'll be watching for more blogging.

    I bet your short hair feels much better (and is no doubt much easier to care for!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are enjoying the photos! It is starting to get hot here and we could use some of your good English rain about now! We have a few more months of dry before the rainy starts for real at the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lady! How absolutely sweet it is to hear your words and see your beautiful photos. So very glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I am glad to be back writing and taking part in the blogging community again. I only the bandwidth to lurk for a while!

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog, worth the wait. Looking forward to the next installment. Your new cut is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. Glad you came back to visit after my long absence! Hope your snow is gone.

      Delete
  8. I read this while in bed the other day and commented in my head! So great to see you and your incredible photos and experiences again. My mother always said you had to have a perfect head and a beautiful face to be able to wear your hair short. I don’t know if that’s necessarily true, but she’d use you as proof. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that lovely compliment, Mitchell. So happy to have you visiting again. Hope you are up and about when you read the next one!

      Delete
  9. Nice to see you back Wilma. You look well and the new hair style is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy! I am feeling fine these days and enjoying the short hair. I used to try to cut it short myself, but as you can imagine - that was not very satisfactory! Hope you are well. I do continue to read your blog, although it has been some while since I have commented.

      Delete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.