15 January, 2023

Fat Red Bananas and Once-in-a-Lifetime Lasagna

Remember those red bananas in my last post?  The Montezuma Oropendolas thought they looked mighty tasty and helped themselves before we cut the stalk down.  I managed to salvage 7 that fell to the ground.  They were still pretty hard, so didn't suffer real damage.  

Fatter than standard supermarket bananas and a little shorter, too.

We ate the one that was ripe in a fruit salad with papaya and star fruit.  The taste was very much like a regular commercial banana, but the texture was delightful - silky smooth yet firm, but not mushy or mealy.  The others will be ripe soon.

In other food news I made "Once-in-a-Lifetime Lasagna".  I had intended to make Portobello Mushroom Parmesan, but things happened, as they do.  I also had a nice eggplant and some leftover homemade red sauce that I wanted to use.  A fruitless search through the freezer for the mozzarella cheese left me holding some frozen brie (made by our friend and former neighbor Chris, now of White Rock Farm), frozen previously rehydrated and cooked wild mushroom mix, frozen leftover filling for a pecan and mushroom tart.  So I precooked the portobello mushrooms and eggplant and combined things in layers in a large lasagna baking dish topped with grated parmesan.  Never again will these ingredients come into alignment.  I told Dennis that I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing - we'll find out after we have some tonight.  It made about 12 servings, so I am hoping that it tastes as good as it smelled cooking.  More fruit salad for dessert.

Smells bubbly delicious.



17 comments:

  1. That might be Serendipitous Lasagna. I hope so. Were the competitors for the bananas birds? Monkeys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Serendipitous Lasagna was good and I still have a couple of packets in the freezer. The oropendolas are big birds that make the most wonderful calls. I won't begrudge them the bananas.

      Delete
  2. Never seen or eaten any red bananas. I'm quite content with the green ones that turn into yellow when ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bananas in general are great fruits.. Love what you have!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to hear how the once-in-a-lifetime lasagna turned out. I'd sacrifice some red bananas for those beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, Mitchell. I'm happy to share SOME of the bananas with the birds.

      Delete
  4. Your bananas and lasagna look lovely. my green bananas are not ripening. I may have to give up on them,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever tried cooking green bananas? I think I have seen some recipes.

      Delete
  5. Those bananas are so interesting looking. I've never heard of frozen brie in a lasagna, but why not?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brie was getting a little too ripe, so I froze it because I couldn't bear the thought of not eating every last bite one way or another. The interesting thing is that we could hardly taste it in the lasagna!

      Delete
  6. Hopefully you survived that once in a lifetime meal Wilma. 🥵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lived to tell the tale . . . .

      Delete
  7. Way to improvise with whatever needed using up. I bet it tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi to Wilma from old friends Rob and Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob and Robin - how great to hear from you! Come see us!

      Delete
  9. The name alone, 'Once in a Lifetime', says it all. So good to hear from you. I'm off to make some lasagna now. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.