30 November, 2013

Thankful

We celebrated our first Thanksgiving in Belize Thursday the 30th by hosting a small dinner party for our nearest neighbors, who are all American, and also Richard and Joy who live on site here and help us manage the place.  The guests included Craig who lives about 3/4 mile up the beach from us, Laquita and Bill who are housesitting at SteppingStones about 1/4 mile up the beach, and Chery and Sam who recently bought the MonkeyHouse about a mile to the south of us.  It was also the first Thanksgiving in Belize for Laquita and Bill and for Chery and Sam.  Everyone brought a contribution to the table and we did it up right with turkey, gravy, dressing, roasted root veggies, cauliflower soup, broccoli casserole, homemade bread stuffed with cheese, cranberry sauce, peach cobbler, pecan pie, and pumpkin cookies. Of course accompanied by lots of fine liquids.  Dennis and I certainly enjoyed it, and it seems our guests did as well.

November is almost at its end and this is only the second post I have managed to make.  Who knew retirement would be so busy?  I have plenty of things to blog about, like this gorgeous moon.  For the full moon and the next 3 nights it had a distinct pink cast to the color that was quite unusual.  It just looks plain orange in the photo, but in person it was a lovely salmon color.
Night after November's full moon (the Beaver Moon).  I wasn't able to quite capture the distinctly pinkish tinge to the color. 
Some of the other things to blog about are the plants that can be seen along the jungle trail we made.  The photo below is of the trunk of a dead tree that is supporting all kinds of epiphytes.
Tree along the jungle path.
Lots of birds have been passing through, too.  And there has been new activity at the hummingbird feeders.  
Juvenile Male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.  The next photo shows how I know it's a male. ;-)
He's getting the first of his ruby feathers!  They really glow like that when the light is at the right angle; I didn't enhance the color at all.
All kinds of interesting things going on.  I'll do my best to post more frequently.

In the meantime and in the spirit of the holiday I will simply say that I am thankful that Dennis and I can enjoy our new life in Belize; I have never been happier or more contented.  Here's wishing the same for each of you.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Lovely coloured Moon and a pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John. Did you happen to see the moon several nights ago? It was just a sliver in the western sky soon after sunset; gorgeous with Venus nearby. I didn't get any shots, though. I think moon shots are much more difficult that sunrises and sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed that Wilma, usually too much cloud about.

      Delete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.