13 November, 2022

Moon, Sun, Clouds, and Lunar Eclipse

We've been busy working on several projects.  Biggest one is repairs to our seawall and replenishing the sand on the beach after Hurricane Julia (no, not Lisa, Julia was the one before).   That will take a month or more of hard work by our crew to finish.  More fun is monitoring sea turtle nesting activity.   So far this year there have been 18 crawls, the most we have ever seen.  Of course that doesn't mean there are 18 actual nests; some crawls seem to be primarily exploratory.  I'll do a separate post on turtles once the season is over.  Another ongoing project is documenting birds and I am having great fun with the Merlin App using Sound ID.  They have recently added more Belize birds to the Sound ID feature.  

Did you know there was a lunar eclipse November 8?  The best viewing time for us was between 3:00 and 5:00am.  The sky was crystal clear at 2:00 and I got my first photo at 3:00 with just a tiny edge of darkness showing up.

This is with my phone.  Mitchell should have been here - his moon photos are superb!
Clouds were just beginning to show up and within 15 minutes, the view of the moon was blocked.  So that was it for me.  I went back to bed and didn't get up again to see if the clouds had blown over.  

Two days later, the moon was in her glory rising over Great Monkey Cay.

The moon is looking right at me!

Reflection on a calm sea.
Followed by the every day miracle of sunrise.
Also reflections on a calm sea.
When a light breeze comes from the west, the trees block the wind from the disturbing the surface of the water closest to shore - it can be almost mirror smooth at times.  A little farther out, and you can tell the sea is slightly ruffled.

This morning's sky view was of these super cool clouds.


Like UFOs.

Then all hell broke loose, so Clove and I made a mad dash for home.  No aliens, just 1/3rd an inch of rain in 15 minutes.  Always something exciting going on.

18 comments:

  1. Such a spectacular place to live. I wish I could have been there to see the eclipse. There was no good time for it here. And thanks regarding my moon photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't post that photo because your moon shots are so superior!

      Delete
  2. Great shots of the moon and the sunrise! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful skies. I couldn't see the eclipse because of trees and houses filling up the sky low down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the perfect perspective from the raised deck just outside the bedroom door.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos, Wilma. You certainly lead an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew about the eclipse but was too sleepy to get up so I could check it out. Your photos are beautiful. I'm looking forward to a turtle post!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good panoramic images Wilma. Such a variation in colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roy. Mornings are often amazing here.

      Delete
  7. How do you make clam sauce for pasta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a very easy version of clam sauce. Saute onions in a generous amount of butter until super soft. Grate zucchini and add it to the onions to cook to bits - it just adds a little body to the sauce. Add minced garlic if you like it (we do). Pour in the juice from the can of clams. Boil the pasta and when it is almost done, add the clams to the onions. Throw in in some chopped parsley. Drain the pasta and add it to the pan of sauce and let it finish cooking in the sauce. Depending on how salty the clams were, you may need to add some salt to the sauce. Serve with garlic toast if you like. The longest step is slicing the onions!

      Delete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.