26 July, 2012

On the Patio

Just a few images from an afternoon Max and I spent on the patio in late June.  A painted lady (Vanessa cardui) was obsessed with getting minerals and moisture from the damp blocks of the retaining wall and patio pavers.  It was so focused on its activities that I was able to get quite close with my camera. 
It liked the moss between the pavers, too.
It fluttered back to the wall and got the attention of...

Max!Finally settling a little higher than the reach of a fat cat.  ;-)
No matter, now Max has a tom turkey in her sights.
The turkey likes to look at his handsome self reflected in our basements windows.  How funny is that?

9 comments:

  1. You have me laughing. Love your grey kitty. I was expecting those nice shots of butterflies, but then those cute little paws. And the last pic of the turkey...priceless. Very nice. Love the Painted Lady. Gorgeous butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max is quite the kitty. She actually caught a chipmunk a couple of weeks ago. She was so shocked she didn't know what to do. It recovered and ran up high on the wall where it sat scolding Max for what seemed like hours. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to mention that next week I will be in Arizona for 5 days. In Phoenix for a conference, but hope to get out for a desert hike or two while I am there.

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots of the Painted Lady Wilma.
    We had thousands here a couple of years ago; haven't seen any this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had more painted ladies this year than I have ever seen before. It has been a strange summer. The monarch butterflies are just getting started and I have seen only a handful of some others that usually quite common.

      Delete
  3. Max's head and paws are a lovely and surprising perspective to add to your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will go straight to her head ...
      Thanks for visiting, Lynn!

      Delete
  4. Wilma,

    Great shots of the Painted Lady, I was surprised to find that it is a butterfly that you get in America as well. We get a few most summers but normally have to rely on odd "invasion" years after a successful breeding season in southern Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. I have quite curious cats myself. I am considering moving to Belize from the US. was wondering if I could contact you with a few questions. plz email me. seve77atyahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.