29 September, 2015

The Moon Also Rises

The moon has never had so many cameras aimed it as it did night before last, and mine was one of the many.  Geographically, South Englishtown is in the perfect place to view this eclipse as the moon rises over the unbroken sea - moonrise at 5:39PM, sunset at 5:47PM, full moon at 8:52PM.  That means the totality would commence around 8:20PM.

The moon made its appearance above the low clouds on the horizon at 6:05.

And at 6:23 it was bright and relatively crisp with a lovely golden glow.  Not exactly the blood moon I had anticipated, but spectacular never-the-less.
Would the weather cooperate for the next 4 hours?  In a word, no.  I did get a few images of the beginning (through the haze) and more as neared totality. For the full effect, click on the image above and scroll through the images.

The first sign of the eclipse was around 7:00 with shadow showing up in the lower left side of the moon.

Clouds obscured everything for the next hour, by which time totality was approaching.  The next set of shots took place from 8:03 until 8:13, when clouds rolled in for good.








I sat on the little east-facing balcony with the camera on a monopod to take these photos. They were taken with the zoom maxed out at 105mm and an exposure compensation of -3.66.  I adjusted the aperture and ISO as conditions changed.  Otherwise, all I did was crop them; no adjustment of color or brightness.  I am pretty happy with them, my next chance to photograph a lunar eclipse with the moon at perigee won't happen again until 2033!

Did the moon come back after being eaten by the dark?  Yes, The Moon Also Rises the next evening.  And it looked satisfyingly red this time.


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, John. It was a good view from here, part of the time, at least.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos Wilma.
    We had gin clear, star lit skies here in the UK so perfect conditions to see the moon both rise and eventually turn an orange colour at the eclipse, only trouble was, the eclipse didn't occur until 3 o'clock in the morning, so lots of tired people thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get out to watch it? I must confess I was asleep by 9:30.

      Delete
  3. A brilliant series of shots Wilma. I woke and looked out about the right time here but the Moon had gone all bashful so I went back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad your effort was not rewarded, John!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photographsof the moon Wilma. I especially love the one with the reflection straight across the water.

    Made me smile when you said on my blog that the reason I managed booking the cattle on to the movement service first time was because I had had an hour's exercise - I feel sure you are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Weaver. Glad you like them. It was a stunning moonrise.
      Re exercise and brain power - I always think better when I have been faithfully working out. At least I think I think better! ;-)

      Delete
  5. As it happened Wilma, I did get out of bed to see the eclipse, despite the time of morning. If I'm lucky I will we 86 at the time of the next one, so best to get this one in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to plan that far ahead when you are our age, although you have a few years on me. I will be 78 and am counting on still being around then, but you never know.

      Delete
  6. Yes it was a round 3am here Wilma. It kind of past me by.{:))
    You did a great job getting these shots anyway.
    I will try not to think of 2033 as yet.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am usually sound asleep at 3am, too! Thanks.
      2033 will be here in a flash, unfortunately.

      Delete
  7. beautiful photos, Wilma!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan. And thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Blog Readers -- your comments are invited. I would love to hear from you.